Monday, March 07, 2005

Everyday Matters Challenge 3, Bag

I finally found my favourite bag the other day when I was searching for my oil pastels. So I settled in bed for the afternoon and drew it (using my oil pastels of course!). It's proportions aren't particularly right, but on the whole I'm pleased with the result. I think its personality comes across in some way despite (or maybe even because of) its wonkiness.



Here's a photo of the bag with its portrait, to give you an idea of what it really looks like.



I started doing some colour testing, and also experimented with the wood grain in the handles, but when I came to do the drawing decided to keep it simpler. It's hard to get good resolution using oil pastels, I'd have had to do a much larger drawing to put in that much detail. As it is I took over 4 hours to do this drawing! Perhaps I'll take it into acrylic paint on a large canvas, this was A4.




10 comments:

Karen Winters said...

Nice rich colors, Maggie. I like the way you did the folds, too. Karen

Maggie said...

Thanks Karen, I could have worked on this for another 4 hours, but felt if I worked on it further (even to add shadows underneath) it would get too messy. Need bigger paper for that! ;-)

Kelley said...

Hi Maggie...I think you did a great job on your purse...and I really enjoyed looking at the picture of your purse and the oil pastel version side by side. I think that could definitely be worked into a EM challenge in the future...actual picture plus your drawing!!!

Anonymous said...

You've certainly got a way with those oil pastels!

Anonymous said...

A lovely rendering, Maggie. And the background is very complimentary. Is the bag embroidered?

Dawn said...

Wonderful drawing of your very nice bag. I love the embroidery and you did a great job of rendering it.

Shelly McC said...

I really like your drawing of your bag. Its good to see the comparison too. You did a terrific job. I love the bag too, Its very colourful.

Anonymous said...

lovely and vivid. I like your oil pastels too :)

Anu
www.livejournal.com/users/schnuckypuss

Cusp said...

I think the bag is lovely --- don't quite know why you decided to show the photo too ('to show what it really looks like') because your drawing more than does it justice.

Thanks for your kind comments about my blog. The van is great fun and a life saver for people like us with CFS who want to get out more --- hence the name 'Snooze Palace'

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggie, well impressed by the apinted reproduction. Dont know if you have Sky but was watching a new channel called Sound and it had this guy showing how to do water colour paintings. he was really inspirational and I loved it that he kept saying anyone can do it. So next time I am let loose I may invest and have a little go. I have just sent off my DLA form as it ends beg of April. Good luck with yours!