Sunday, July 08, 2007

Mainly some pictures

Agapanthus

Agapanthus floret

We visited both Mum and Dad yesterday. Then went on to the flat, dropped off Mum's clothes that I brought home and washed last week, and packed a suitcase full of more stuff to wash. John thought to stick on the TV while we were there, so we managed to see Spinal Tap on the Big Concert.

Lovebird sock continues (heel begins)

The sock is still growing. It's far too big for Mum, but I think will make a very comfortable bed sock for her. Cosy and soft, and easy to put on, but enough gentle grip from the ribbing..

8mm needles

These needles are for a mystery project (for now). But I was struck by how close they are in size to a pencil... I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy 5 pencils and sharpen both ends. ;-) Would have to cap or cover the lead. I'm really looking forward to knitting on these!

We are both so tired we can barely think, but John cooked us roast beef (from the Woolton Butcher) with Yorkshire puddings, roasties, peas and butter beans. And gravy of course, plus horseradish sauce. It was really tasty. Hopefully liver and bacon with fried onions in gravy tomorrow.

Oh, and we had a fantastic breakfast. Mary (Mum in Law, just had a two week holiday on the Isle of Man) brought us some Manx smoked kippers so we had a kipper and tomato bake with fried leftover boiled potatoes. We planned to have the Kippers Florentine for breakfast tomorrow, but John forgot to get the spinach. Maybe Tuesday!

I'm still thinking about the visits on Saturday. And feeling about them.

12 comments:

DD said...

I used to knit fair isle gloves on needles a lot like that, but thinner. Very fiddly & incricate, and very creatively satisfying! I can't manage it now as I no longer have enough stability or control in my left hand. Maybe crochet would be easier one-handed.

Kippers Florentine sounds delicious!

talj said...

Wonderful photos and I think you should definitely try the pencil knitting!! I want photographic evidence that you've done it though! ;o)

Have a lovely week {{HUGS}} :o)

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Maggie,
I've benn here before!! You have a lovely blog. Thanks so much for visiting mine and for the nice comments! That desription of your roast beef dinner sounds heavenly...it's exactly the way my mum (and I) make it. You can't have roast beef without the Yorkshire pudding and the roast potatoes. No one does roast beef like the British!!

I'll come again soon,
Linda

Mary Anne said...

Your socks are looking very nice. Can't wait to see what you will knit with those 8mm dpns.

Probably Jane said...

Very pretty socks - I love your colour choice.

and I do like a nice kipper....

Libbys Blog said...

Yea ha, your a knitter too. Excellent! I knitted my first pair of socks recently, I must admit I have really got the bug !!! Please can I add you to my link list?

Libby

DDKK said...

love the socks! Sorry I haven't visited your blog for a while, I've just been catching up with all your news about your mum and dad. So sorry to hear you are going through a tough time at the moment, sending you warm thoughts and wishes...

DD said...

Hi Maggie, hope things are OK, not seen you for a while.

(By the way, you’ve been tagged, see my blog for details.)

Bernie said...

Hi there,
Stumbled across your blog from Bev, where you had made a comment. In your sign off, you said hi from Grey Liverpool, and this had me intrigued...
Also, I had seen aphoto or two that looked somewhat familiar as I was there in 2005, July 6 - 17 actually staying with my Aunt in Seaforth! I loved Liverpool... My dad was from Liverpool, and I am lucky enough to hold dual citizenship with the UK and Australia!
That is a great shot of the old Aggie as they are also know by in Australia. They are also close to being a weed as their seed dispersal is quite high! I hope that they don't become this way, as we have some very talented breeders who are producing some fantastic colours...
I might come back again to see some more of the hometown!
Do stop by and say hello to http://burntofferings.blogspot.com/

Linda in Texas said...

Hi from East Texas! I too come via Bev's blog where the grey Liverpool greeting caught my eye also. My husband does a lot of genealogy and has traced his family's roots to Liverpool. He and my oldest son have travelled there several times to see the Liverpool Football club play. They've got the red scarves...and the team spirit! My husband tears up each time he hears "You'll Never Walk Alone." (that's tears as teardrops not tears as ripping paper) Your knitting is lovely. I wouldn't tear (second meaning) any of it up. I've been "learning" to knit for years. And all I can do is make scarves. But it's fun choosing the yarn etc. And, speaking of sharpening pencils for the needles..I actually did try to use the throw-away chopsticks we got once from a local restuarant. I sharpened the ends on them as a lark. Didn't really make for smooth knitting.

seahorse said...

Been wondering how things are with you at the mo.
I'd love to give knitting a go, but don't know whether it's possible to learn it from scratch after getting M.E. Concentration v poor, but it may be fun giving it a try.
Is a scarf generally the safest first project, being of uniform shape?

natalie said...

I wonder if some jazzy nail polish on the pencil ends would do the trick? Some people swear by square section needles, so I can't see any reason why hexagonal ones wouldn't work, and perhaps be more grippy than round pencils too.