Monday, February 18, 2008

Sunday excursion

1855 Dock Building

Felt really rough on Saturday, so just vegged in bed all day. Sunday it was so gorgeous out that we both felt we had to get out of the house. So wonderful to see so much sunshine.

Wolff Crane

Liverpool really is a city of cranes at present. I find them interesting - the angles they make against the sky and other buildings. And I love their colour against blue skies! Especially the red ones!

Baltic Fleet and Chevas Park

Baltic Fleet and cranes

Went to Gordale Nurseries first, where I was tempted by several plants (especially some of the euphorbias, but I worry about their nasty sap) but decided that I didn't really have the energy to look after any new plants right now. It was good fun to have a look at what is available at this time of year though, and it's so great to even begin to think about gardening again.

John trundled me as far as the kids' playground, when we heard some strange bird calls. We headed off towards them and found these strange birds:

Strange birds

What on earth are they? John made a guess at quail, but I didn't think quail had bald heads!

On to the flat afterwards, brought some more stuff home. Cooking notes Mum made at night school in the 1939-40 session. First recipe is lentil soup, followed by kidney soup. Not had time to read further yet. John went for a walk round the marine lake while I went through more bits and pieces.

It was very still, though very cold despite the sunshine. We watched a couple of kayackers paddling round the lake. Rather them than me!!! And then we watched the sun sink over the hills of Wales. Here's the last glimmer before it disappeared:

Sunset

Today I went for my regular Monday evening counselling session. Been going for a few weeks now, was lucky enough to be able to contact the Counsellor I saw when I was fairly newly disabled with ME. She helped me a lot back then, and now I am seeing her for bereavement counselling. Today we began work on my Life Line. This is going to be painful I think, but I am convinced it will all help in the long term.

St Luke's Church and Unity Flats

Sunday Traffic jam outside St Luke's Church. We think there must have been something on at the new stadium. Obvously this is something we are going to have to take account of when planning on driving through Liverpool!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggie,

I think the birds are Guinea Fowl - they're certainly not Quail, which are much smaller and have different markings.

Cusp said...

I like these litle virtual mystery tours you take us on. I've never been to Liverpool so it's interesting to see all sorts of parts of the City.

Really feel for you having to sort everything out, having done it myself three times over the last few years. It's physically and emotionaly taxing for anyone, let alone a PWME.

Take care

Libbys Blog said...

I was going to say they are Guinea Fowl, I saw them when we where last there in January, they don't half make a racket!! I love coming here especially when you take us on tours, its like being home again!! Even though I have lived away from the Wirral for 27 years!

DD said...

Hi Maggie,
Serena is right, they are guinea fowl. One of our neighbours has some. There are several varities of ornamental quail, simi,ar shape but they are a lot smaller.

Anonymous said...

Dear Maggie,
sorry I haven't visited lately, I seem to get far too busy and cant believe how quick the time flies by! I love your photos and glad you've been able to get out :o)

I will be coming over to Liverpool on 20th March (Thursday) as I have meetings at Clatterbridge and then myself and my friend will be spending the 21st (Good Friday) around Liverpool. I was wondering if you would be around either of those days and if you'd be free for a cuppa? It would be wonderful to meet you!

I cant find your email address, sorry, but if you send me an email at talj80@gmail.com I will get back to you asap.

Love and {{{HUGS}}}
Natalya xx

Peri said...

Brighton is a city of cranes too at the moment - perhaps it's catching.

We stay with friends in Cyrpus who have a flock(?) of Guinea Fowl - they are probably the dumbest birds I have ever encountered!!

Good luck with the counselling.